Swimming "underdog" Abbie Cooper wins three silvers and a gold


Abbie Cooper has not let a late start to the sport of swimming stop her from raking in the medals in the Metro North Age and Multi Class Championships at the Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre (MSAC) last week.

The Monash Art and Design student wrapped up the swimming Long Course season with a medal haul of three silvers and a gold at the event on Sunday 24 March, but said she only started competing in the sport a few years ago.
Abbie Cooper said she was not expecting to do this well 
at the event, but felt strong once she entered the water.
Photo: Abbie Cooper.

“It was a pretty exciting result really. I don’t think I medaled the previous year, so I was really happy with this,” she said.

“I’m a bit of an underdog in my age group, but I think starting so late has helped me stay fresh. So many people drop out once they get older. I keep telling all the younger swimmers to keep going, it’s worth it in the end.”

Abbie, who swims for the Yarra Plenty Swimming Club, won gold with a PB in the Women’s 18 and over 100m Freestyle, and silver in the 100m Butterfly, Backstroke and Breaststroke.

“I’m actually more of a 50m swimmer, my best events are normally the really short, fast events. So this was quite surprising,” Abbie said.

“It was my first time competing in 100m Fly. The finish might not have been great, but at least I made it to the end!”

The Metro North Age and Multi Class Championships was Abbie’s last competition in the summer Long Course season.

“Going into the Short Course season, I’m looking to make a whole lot more state times than previous years, particularly in longer events like 100m or maybe even 200m,” she said.

“And eventually maybe Nationals, we’ll see!”

And will she be competing in the gruelling 100m Butterfly again?

“If my coach can force me to do it, but I’m not in any rush to do it again!”



Written by Nell O’Shea Carre, Media Coordinator.

Popular Posts