Table Tennis Champion Heming Hu claims his first National Men's Singles Title


It was third time lucky for Table Tennis Champion Heming Hu this Saturday, as the number one ranked Australian celebrated his first Men’s Singles National Title after disappointing finals losses in the previous two years.
The Monash Science and Education student flew through the Round Robin and Knockout stages of the competition before defeating New South Whales’ Kane Townsend 4-0 in the final.
Heming said he had "a lot of doubts coming into the tournament”.
“Playing this tournament I felt even more anxious than when I tried to qualify for the Olympics in 2016,” he said.
“For me, this one has always been the toughest one to conquer, because it’s knockout so if you lose that’s it.”
“I’m so glad to have finally won my first national singles title.”
Heming Hu is now the number one ranked Australian and Oceania Men's table tennis player.
Photo: Table Tennis Australia. 
Heming began playing table tennis in his family garage when he was seven, and has represented Australia at the 2014 and 2018 Commonwealth Games, and the 2016 Summer Olympics.
Now with a World Men’s ranking of 121, the table tennis champ won’t be celebrating with some downtime, as he has already flown over to Europe to compete in 2019 World Table Tennis Championships in Budapest next week. Heming said Saturday’s win will be a great confidence boost coming into the event.
“It will all be great experience and it will be great learning, regardless of whether I win or lose,” he said.
“Coming into my fifth world championships I know what to expect, I know how I’m going to have to play, what the conditions are roughly going to be like, what the atmosphere is going to be like, and that’s a good head start.”
“I trust my game a lot, I trust my shots and I trust my mindset.”
Good luck Heming, we trust you too!

Written by Nell O'Shea Carre, Media Coordinator. 

Popular Posts