Super sprinter Alexia Loizou takes out Stawell Women's Gift 2019



Alexia celebrates with her trophy.
Photo: gettyimages Luke Hemer.
Over the Easter weekend, Monash’s resident sprinting superstar, Alexia Loizou, proved to the athletics world that she is a force to be reckoned with, winning the Stawell Gift Women’s handicap sprint.

After convincing wins in her heat and semi-final, Alexia had victory in her sights prior to the final race.

“In the semis I ran the fastest time again and that’s when I really thought ‘you can do this’, I just didn’t want anything to get in the way of achieving the win,” Alexia said.

Coming off a handicap of 5.75 metres, Alexia ran a near perfect race and was too good for her competition, winning in style and becoming $40,000 richer in the process.

However it wasn’t all perfect runs and fairy tales for the star sprinter leading-up and there were times when it looked like she wouldn’t be competing in the event at all, let alone winning. 


“Lots of hard-work and dedication went into the win,” Alexia said.

“Earlier on in the season I was having really big problems with my feet.

“Then four weeks out at training, my knee cap slid out and I had really bad pain to the point where I couldn’t finish sessions.

“I had a lot of stress going in thinking that I was under-prepared because of my knee issues, I knew that my speed wasn’t where it needed to be.”

Despite the setbacks, the second-year nursing student refused to quit and said that faith in her coach and in herself got her across the line.

“I trusted my coach to get me where I needed to be,” Alexia said. 

“I worked really hard on changing my mindset around, in the past I’ve always kind of felt that believing in myself was arrogant but it’s okay to believe in yourself. 
Overjoyed with the victory.
Photo: The Weekly Advertiser.

“That change in my mindset just made such a big difference and going into the semi I just had no doubt in my mind that it was something I could achieve.” 


Ultimately the 21-year-old just wanted to do her best, she said winning this event gave her a sense of belief that wasn’t there in the past.

“I just wanted to run the best I could because at the end of the day if I had of come first or last but had run the best that I could, I would have been happy,” she said.

“The win just showed me that I can really do anything that I set my mind to, If you really want something and you work so hard for it, you deserve it.”

Alexia credited Monash University for the support its ESPS scheme provides for student athletes, saying she relished the opportunity to represent it.  

“I know how much support they offer their athletes that are also studying and they just really back you and I definitely felt that,” she said.

“I felt such a sense of pride to be able to tell people that I was a part of Monash and representing Monash.

“That’s also part of being in the performer scheme, you feel such a sense of support and such a sense of pride.”

Alexia now plans to take a well-earned break before focusing on her track running ahead of Nationals next season.

Congratulations once again Alexia, Monash is so proud and wishes you the best of luck in all your future endeavours both on and off the track!

#BleedBlue #MonashPride

Written by Joseph Arthur, Media Coordinator

Popular Posts