Speed Skater Skyler Kah set for Siberia


Skyler Kah is ready for Universiade 2019
Photo: Skyler Kah
Congratulations to Monash speed skating champion and medicine student Skyler Kah, who will follow in his father’s footsteps when he and his brother Josh (Melbourne University), compete at the 2019 Winter Universiade in March.

Skyler’s father and three time Olympian, Danny Kah, competed and won Gold in the 3000m speed skate at the 1985 Winter Universiade in Belluno Italy and now, his two sons hope to return home with Golds of their own. 

“The Winter Universiade is the one competition I've been looking forward to more than the others I have done this season.” Skyler said.

“I've attended 4 World Cups in Canada, USA, Germany and Italy but I just can't wait to experience Russia, especially the freezing temperatures of Siberia.” 

Both the Kah brothers qualified for the short track competition commencing on the 4th of March, Skyler however, is the only Australian to have qualified all three Olympic qualifying times and has high hopes for the event.

“The ambitions I have for racing in Krasnoyarsk range from skating an 8.45 second lap to making sure I'm completely prepared for each race, focusing on blocking, passing and being in the right position.

“I want to make sure my team members have everything they need and I hope to cheer on the other UniRoos in their winter sports after mine has finished.”

Skyler credited race preparation as a key to his success.
Skyler with his Father [Danny] and brother [Josh]
Photo: Skyler Kah

“I know what to do before competing - from eating the right foods, to warming up and tying my boots up the prefect tightness, all this is learnt from experience.”

The Winter Universiade is an international, multi-sport event, second only to the Winter Olympic Games in terms of number of athletes and countries that compete. 

It brings together student athletes from all over the globe, for what is considered to be an elite level of competition involving the best athletes that student winter sport has to offer.

Skyler thanked Team MONASH for “always being supportive of my [his] studies and training”. 

From multiple grants, gym memberships and assisting in exam deferral, “I cannot thank them enough”. 

We wish Skyler all the best in Siberia, Team MONASH is behind you! 

“Uncomfortable isn’t your limit.” – Skyler Kah 2019

Written by: Joseph Arthur, Media Coordinator

Popular Posts