Badminton is thriving at Monash and Loke Poh Wong is why

Loke is all smiles in his badminton facilities.
Photo: Joseph Arthur.
Roughly 40 years ago, Loke Poh Wong was graduating from Monash University with a Civil Engineering degree.
At the time, Wong had been competing with the Monash University badminton team at Intervarsity competitions from 1977-81, having also competed at numerous State and National competitions.
Now in his 42nd year with the club, the 61-year-old remains heavily involved with all things Monash badminton.
As a member of the Blues committee and the clubs Public Officer, Wong is working towards creating more opportunities to play for those within Monash who share his badminton passion.
“Monash Badminton Club is very much part of my life,” Wong said.
“I’m the Public Officer for the Monash Badminton Club, which means I’m putting up all the University teams that play in the Varsity Competition.
“I’m working as a civil engineer and an environmental engineer for my own company but the passion is always badminton.”
Loke Poh Wong has been putting his words into action, helping create and run four badminton facilities for both Monash alumni and badminton novices alike.
Wong said by aiding in the creation and operation of new facilities, the sport has an opportunity to grow.
“A group of us Monash alumni who love the game and continue playing with the club, took over those (four) facilities and we converted them into world class badminton courts,” Wong said. 

“It’s (badminton) a growing sport and the facilities for badminton are lacking Australia wide, so ours have been put together for retirees, competitions, leagues, socials and school children.
However it isn’t just off the court where Wong is making his mark. He also happens to be ranked in the top six badminton players in the world in the over 60 (masters) competition and top two in Asia.
Since competing at senior level, he has won gold in the World Masters, Australian Masters and World Asian masters.
Most recently, the badminton veteran went to Kuching, Malaysia to defend his gold medal at the World Asian Masters and finished with a silver medal, falling to the local Malaysian champion.
“I was the defending champ (in Kuching), I won it last year in China but this year I got silver, and I’m very happy with my silver, so now I’ve got a gold and a silver,” Wong said. 
The courts Loke created are world class.
Photo: Joseph Arthur.
When asked about how a man of his age can stay in such good physical shape, Wong credited both his wife and his love of the game.
“It’s just a sport I like, I play quite a high level….and my wife has looked after me well so my body is in good shape and as I get older I find that I can now beat former world champs,” Wong said.
“I met my wife in the mixed doubles, she was on the other side of the court and so I had to marry her so she would come over to my side of the court and play with me.
“We won the mixed doubles World Championships in Sydney back in 2009...she is a source of strength for me.”
The future goal for Wong is simple; continue to grow badminton both Australia-wide and from a more local Monash perspective.
He said ideally, international students who play badminton will be excited at the idea of studying at Monash, if not for the degree’s, but for the opportunity to improve their game.
“I am trying to encourage overseas students to come to Monash and play,” Wong said.
“If you’re overseas and a good badminton player, come to Monash and your standard of badminton will increase. Not only will you get a degree but you’ll get better at badminton.”
The pathways for Australian badminton athletes are in place and Wong hopes to see people embrace the opportunities he is trying to create for them.
He said watching people enjoy the sport and participate in the community is a source of significant pride.
“That’s why the passion is there, it’s seeing people playing and being coached well,” Wong said.
“For top players, I put pathway's to where they can hit with national players and meet with national coaches...so those who are able to take those opportunities do so.
“Being able to put these coaches and systems that we have together for the upcoming athletes is important.
“With my different hats on, whether it be for Victoria or Australia, you want the sport to grow.”
Congratulations on your efforts in Kuching Loke! We are very proud and can't wait to see badminton continue to prosper at Monash! 
Written by Joseph Arthur, Media Coordinator 

Comments

  1. This is good site to spent time on .I just stumbled upon your informative blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your very well written blog posts. I will be your frequent visitor, that's for sure.
    Homerun baseball Singapore

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts