Free-running star's amazing results driven by a passion for self-expression


Oscar is definitely not afraid of heights. 
Photo: Oscar Chau YouTube
First-year Monash Business student Oscar Chau has been practising parkour and free-running for six and a half years.

In that time he has gone from total novice, practicing at home from YouTube tutorials, to a rising star of the sport, winning domestic competitions and competing internationally.

However, it was earlier this year, at the Australian Academy of Parkour, Exercise and Self-Defence (AAPES) Jump Off 2019, where the 18-year-old's true potential was on display.

Having suffered a debilitating ankle injury just two weeks prior to the country’s biggest and most internationally recognised parkour/free-running event, Oscar was lucky to be competing at all.

“Two weeks prior to the competition I did a second degree tear to the ligaments in my upper ankle and then bone bruising on the inside as well,” Chau said.

“It was the first time I’d been over there (AAPES Jump Off Sydney) in three years…I took a break because of my studies.

“Going in…I really had no goal to win the competition, I just wanted to show what I was capable of.”

Parkour and free-running are two separate terms which are often blended into one. However in relation to the AAPES Jump Off competition, they are very different.
No fear.
Photo: Oscar Chau YouTube.

“Parkour is about getting from point-a to point-b as efficiently as possible,” Chau said.

“Whereas free-running takes aspects of gymnastics, martial arts, other movement forms and basically blends it all into one.

“It’s (free-running) not necessarily about efficiency but more-so creativity.”

Parkour/free-running competitions are made up of three categories: style, speed and skill.

Style events involve a competitor free-running within a course for 90 seconds, where the competitor’s goal is to pull off as many tricks whilst completing their ‘line’ or run in as stylish a way as possible.

Speed events are for parkour competitors who simply attempt to complete a specific course in the quickest time possible, whilst skill events are when competitors attempt to pull off specific skill based free-running challenges. 

For Oscar, a member of the University's Elite Student Performer Scheme, the free-running style events are his passion.

“Style is my favourite format, where you have 90 seconds on a set course and you can do whatever you want,” Chau said.

“You can really showcase what your personal style is all about.”

At AAPES Jump Off 2019, due to being limited by injury, Oscar only competed in the style event.

“The good thing was, they are (style events) so creative…that you can change your style to fit the needs of the environment,” Chau said.

“(At AAPES) I was at a level where even though I was limited by my injury I was still able to work around it and showcase what I was capable of.”

Split into two categories, intermediate and advanced, Oscar was to compete in the advanced category against some of the best free-running athletes in Australia...with only one good ankle.

What ensued was something incredible.

“I did my heat run and was scoring first overall going into the finals,” Chau said.

“In the finals I had to do a completely different run and once again I executed it really well, I actually surprised myself and ended up winning the competition which was really great.

“It had been a goal of mine for such a long time and going there injured, I was quite surprised with the outcome (first place overall in the advanced style category).
Determination and strength. 
Photo: Oscar Chau YouTube.

“As a result of that, I got a wildcard slot into the Asian Parkour Championships held in Singapore…It was to be my first international competition.”

For Oscar, the win at AAPES Jump Off 2019 was only a stepping stone towards a bigger goal, but the gravity of the effort – against such adversity – isn’t to be overlooked. The result was incredible.

The Asian Parkour Championships were a learning experience for Oscar, still suffering from his persistent ankle injury and being forced to adapt to heat and humidity of Singapore.

“I didn’t feel comfortable going into the competition (Asian Parkour Championships)...my body was pretty wrecked, but I wasn’t going to let that stop me from doing my best,” Chau said.

“On my second trick I had a really big stumble and pretty much fell straight on my arse.

“I tried to recover as best I could but unfortunately it didn’t let me get any further into the competition.

“But it wasn’t a bad thing, honestly, it was my first international competition, so I feel like it was a great experience in terms of knowing my limits and what I’m capable of in terms of injury prevention and what position I need to be in to compete at that level.”

After a successful 2019 campaign, Oscar hopes to shake his nagging injury and continue to improve internationally this coming year.

“Moving into next year my competition goals are to uphold and defend my championship at the AAPES Jump Off 2020,” He said. 


“Moving on from there I would also like to podium at the Asian Parkour Championships in 2020 and hopefully compete at the World Championships too.”
It's all smiles after perfecting a new move.
Photo: Oscar Chau YouTube.


Upon reflecting on his goals for 2020, Oscar discussed what got him into the sport at first and what drives him to continue.

Oscar said he found a passion for the sport after finding a sense of self-expression that didn’t exist in any other aspect of his life. 
“My passion for it (parkour/free-running) really grew from the fact that you get a sense of achievement from learning by yourself and successfully achieving new movements and developing your own style,” Chau said.

“Parkour and free-running has given me an outlet to express myself where I don’t feel like I have that in any other area in my life.

“It’s been so important for me to use it as an avenue to take my mind off things or work through difficult times in my life. That’s another thing that really contributed to the passion I have for the sport.”

Written by Joseph Arthur, Media Coordinator

Comments

Popular Posts